Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contributor 2012 Adams Speedline Fast 12 Driver giveaway winner2012 British Open Pickems Winner newnin's Avatar
    Handicap Index

What's the best 3-wood available today?

What is a good 3-wood to get? I don't have one right now and I would like to add one to my bag. I don't really care about cost.

Handicap Index
    Golf Blog Entries
    I have not tested fairway woods in a long time so I will have to get out there and try out the new ones and give some reviews. I always think that I should replace my 3-wood because it is a cheap component head that I bought for $10 dollars in 2001. I have tried numerous replacements over the years but always end up going back to this club.

Waterboy

The Nike Victory Red STR8-FIT tour 3 wood is pretty nice. I don't know if it will work for a chop like you, but it is a great club for the better player as you can make adjustments to the face angle. Newnin will probably need to shut the face down, but I keep it square.

Handicap Index
    Golf Blog Entries

Re: What's the best 3-wood available today?

I finally hit the Nike Victory Red today(along with about four other 3-woods) and the Nike was the worst of the bunch. It was far too upright for me. I didn't get to play around with any of the face angle adjustments but unless you can change the lie angle (which I am pretty sure you can't), this club won't work for golfers under 6'2".

Another 3-wood I hit today was the Cobra S2 (pictured below)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cobra_s2_fairway_wood.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	77
    The shaft wasn't right for me on the demo club I was hitting, but I liked the face a lot better than Nike Victory. This club had a slightly taller face height but was not as wide as some of the other 3-woods I was hitting (I actually prefer this but if you have trouble hitting off of the heel or toe, the taller face will not help you). I wish I could have hit this club with a shaft more suited to my swing but all in all this was a good club.

The other 3-wood I hit today was the Callaway Diablo Octane (pictured below)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	callaway_diablo_3_wood.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.8 KB 
ID:	78
    This was a nice club to hit. It didn't seem to have as hot of a face as the Cobra, but I felt a little more consistent with it then any of the other two clubs I hit. This club was shafted more towards more liking, so that may explain why I was hitting it a little straighter than the Cobra, but I would need to hit both club heads with matching shafts to know for sure.

I still feel like the Bridgestone J38 3-Wood is the best one I hit so far, but I could see myself using the Cobra or the Callaway Diablo and not miss a beat. The only 3-wood I would not use is the Nike Victory as it was far too upright for me to use but if you are tall, it could be a good club for you.

Don't listen to h2o-boy. He has no idea what he is talking about. That Nike Victory is by far the best 3-wood available on the market today.

You should also try the adams 2011 3 wood its got the most responsive face. Had a huge demo day at the range couple weeks ago hit all the three woods because im shopping for one too. I would say when it comes to distance the taylormade was the worst and adams was the best. Adams also has adjustable heads. On a side note @Golf God you are really slipping now. "Newnin will probably need to shut the face down, but I keep it square." I take it that you are referring to the chance that Newnin is a slicer? Considering shutting the face down, once again assuming that you mean closing it with adjustments, would actually create more side spin making it harder for a swing that produces a slice to hit a draw/straight shot. What causes the ball to move left to right or vice versa is spin. Regardless of your swing changing the face of the club will not change the direction of the spin it will only create spin. If you have a draw swing and your face is open/closed you will likely still draw it. If you have a fade/slice swing, face open/closed you will likely still fade it. Check your notes Golf God maybe do some homework.

Handicap Index
    Golf Blog Entries

I actually just tried out 6 different 3-woods today and the Adams Speedline F11 fairway wood was amongst them (it wasn't the adjustable version). The salesmen recommended it as he agreed with your assessment that it had one of the hottest 3-wood faces on the market today. Unfortunately the wind was swirling really hard so I had a tough time getting a good feel for distance between all of the different clubs, but it did appear that the Adams was the longest.

Besides the Adams, I also hit the Taylor Made Burner Superfast 2.0, the Callaway Diablo Octane Tour, Bridgestone J38, Cleveland Launger FL3W, and the Callaway Razr Hawk. All six of the clubs had 15 degrees of loft. My favorite of the bunch ended up being the Taylor Made. In a close second were the Callaway Diablo Octane Tour, the Bridgestone J38 and the Adams Speedline. I wish I would have looked a little closer at the Adams products that were available as they have a few different versions and the one I was hitting was probably not the one I would have gone with. The Speedline F11 has this weird indention across the top of the club that was annoying to look at. The Speedline 9032Ti does not appear to have this (at least what I can tell from the picture that I am looking at on their website) and it also looks like it has the classic Adams fairway wood face design (which I happen to like). The Cleveland Launcher 3 wood was nice, but the head was really big and I just don't care for that(or need it) in my fairway woods. The Callaway Razr Hawk did not feel as nice as the Diablo Tour (I can't remember exactly what I did not like about it, but the Diablo fit my eye better so I didn't give the Razr much of a chance).

I ended up buying the Taylor Made Burner Superfast 2.0 for the next Golf-Gab Giveaway. It felt like it had a slightly higher swingweight which was allowing me to feel the club head a little better and I was hitting a nice straight ball with it. It was not the longest of the bunch but I think the control factor that it gave me more than made up for the distance I would give up with the club (compared with the Adams fairway wood).

So keep an eye out for the contest thread that should be popping up in the next day in the General forum. It will be another long running contest as I am hoping to get more than 10 entries in this one. The drawing will probably take place on September 1st.

I will not argue that the taylormade was not the straightest. With all the different weights and settings, it out configures the others. Yet at the same time its not good enough to make up for the short coming of feel, sound, and distance difference compared to all the others. The adams new three wood is the biggest leap in club head tech since the square drivers and the huge ball change years back. I just can't sacrifice that distance and feel for a name and paint job. The taylormade felt just like the first three wood i ever had which was a aculity that came with the whole set my dad bought me at Dicks Sporting Goods no feel no feel no feel. My vendetta with taylormade will not be ended till the meet the needs of golfers that doesn't show up on stat reports the needs like feel.

Handicap Index
    Golf Blog Entries

The particular TaylorMade fairway wood I hit did not have the ability to change the configuration. I actually did not care for the R-11 product line (which has all of the configuration options).

I just looked at the specifications between the Adams Speedline F11 and the TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 and my initial impressions were correct. The TaylorMade was sporting a D9 swingweight and the Adams was at D2. I happen to love D9 and heavier swing weights, so that would have a lot to do with me feeling like I had more control with the TaylorMade. The interesting part of these specs is that the TaylorMade club is 3/4 of an inch longer than the Adams but I felt like the Adams club was longer. That must mean that Adams face is really hot.

@cristiangolfer - I have never played a TaylorMade club, so I am not that familiar with the company. What are they doing that makes you not like them? I know that the fact that their drivers are the most used on the PGA tour only means that they pay their golfers the best, but besides that, is there something else I don't know?

Handicap Index
    Golf Blog Entries

Additional Note:

Adams is giving away some equipment on their website right now. All you have to do is signup (though they want a lot of information from you in the process).